2/8/14

Blake Brockington makes NC history becoming Mecklenburg's first transgender homecoming king

Blake told WCNC "Throughout my life I haven't always been treated equally as a male, so I've always wanted this and everybody has told me I couldn't do it. ‘You are a girl,' even though I've always identified myself as a male," said Brockington.

There were 13 seniors vying for the coveted title as king. Brockington won, collecting the most money for the school's chosen charity, Mothering Across Continents. It's a non-profit organization that funds the building of schools in the Sudan.

Brockington is no stranger to adversity. He says he is living with foster parents because his father is unable to accept his gender identity.

His foster parent, Donald Smith, told NBC Charlotte Brockington has the perseverance to overcome the challenges he faces.

"He really is hoping that it helps those behind him going through the same challenges and struggles," he said.



No comments: