3/17/13

Portland Oregon's Lonesome Pizza "Tranny Bread Sticks"

Update! Click here to read about awesome Lonesomes Pizza decision to remove the word 'tranny' from there website menu.

I just talked with a very nice man, John, a manager at the Lonesome pizza and asked him about the use of the word 'tranny' on the restaurants website. He said the 'tranny' bread sticks promotion were the idea of co owner Nik, who identifies "as trans and a midget". I asked him if he had received any negative feedback from the trans community about using the word 'tranny' and he said no he hadn't.

I then explained that the word 'tranny' is widely regarded as defamation by the transgender community but John said it was ok because Nik, who he said does not identify by ether gender pronouns said its ok.

I understand Oregon is on the leading edge of trans inclusively affecting societal norms but I think the wishes and sensibilities of the vast majority of the trans community should be taken into account. I think the word 'tranny' should be removed from there website.

What do you think? Am I acting like a word police troll or am I making a rational request?
Lonesome Pizza a very cool restaurant with a very problematic breadstick 503-234-0114



No comments: