7/12/10

B4 the 1st kiss: TELL your date you're transgender! What was GLAAD thinking?


Save a life! What was GLAAD thinking?

Before your first kiss make sure you tell your romantic interest about your being transgender and exactly what you have between your legs. Period. To do otherwise makes you culpable and at least in part responsible for your partners anger if they should react so when learning of your genitalia or history post kiss. If you are in it for a meaningful relationship honesty is the cornerstone.

What is GLAAD Thinking?

The New York Times in open public discourse recommends honesty, discretion and respect between perspective romantic partners even if the cisgender person feels rightfully mislead and Glaad objects

Open public discourse between cisgender people involving our emerging transgender community invites some unintentional misuse of language. However was that a typo by the New York Times "transgender ed" or a taunt aimed at GLAAD?

Are transgender people being used as a weapon welded by the NY Times and GLAAD? If this is so, in this instance, GLAAD needs to seriously reconsider it's motivation and the results of its actions on the transgender community. The same people it portends to champion.

Persecuting those like Cohen who did not strictly adhere to the guidebook hurts the transgender community by inhibiting dialogue and discourse. Wars are averted by discussion a good friend reminds me.

GLAAD What are you thinking?

Kelli Busey 7/13/2010

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My personal feeling as a Transgender person is to be open, up front and honest, as I would in all aspects of my life. I have NOTHING to hide nor be ashamed of concerning my gender identity.
Having an organization or media telling me or anyone else how to live can just kiss my booty, and I expect them to disclose what is between thier legs before hand............

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% Selena. I would want to be told if I was getting involved with a trans-man. I personally don't have to worry about this anymore myself because I am married but I do not advise t-girls or boys to "trick" people. It is important for you to be honest with any romantic interest or you are not being honest with youself and if they find out from any other source you could get really REALLY hurt.

www.omgitsatranny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I suppose GLAAD was thinking that it's horribly irresponsible to endorse the viewpoint that finding out you've kissed a trans person justifies homicidal rage.

I guess it's good to know that the community is large enough to embrace multiple viewpoints on the "tranny panic" defense?

Anonymous said...

If I have to tell my romantic interests that I am trans before my first kiss, then I will wind up telling the whole world that I am trans. I will then be a target for trouble. A better option would be to find out if my prospective partner is transphobic first, and if they're capable of keeping my secret, and disclose after that.

Of course, the most moral fix would be for cis people to just disclose their transphobe/non-transphobe status up front. That way I could just not bother with the ones who wouldn't want me. Push for that, why don't you?

maria welborn said...

How dare you! You can't take that stance and legitimately claim to be a transgender rights activist.

Trans people re-enforcing the belief trans* women are not really women is the last thing we need.

I tell when I feel like I want to reveal something personal about myself on a case-by-case basis. This is often after a decent amount of making out. I have never had anyone react negatively.

The idea that it is deception if someone is attracted to us for what we look like undermines the whole idea of transition.

What was this all for? the be considered an unloveable freak even by other [presumably trans*] people who should know far better.

mdwayne said...

To those who claim it is a right to keep it secret and not offer another a choice, I would ask how you would feel if you kissed someone with AIDS who told you they had if after the kiss? We know it isn't communicable by that mechanism any more than "Trans" is communicable, so no problem, right? The fact is you've been denied the right to make a deeply personal choice. Note, I am not referring to "hook-ups" here, I am referring to dating with romantic intent. Sorry to say, but "grow a pair".